Thursday, October 9, 2008

Emily...My new friend

Emily....... My new friend
Today I had the opportunity to go with Farihn on his first field trip. You can only imagine how excited he was to go. I had not originally planed to go, but he really wanted me to so I made arrangements. I'm so glad I did. We had so much fun. Five- year- olds are the best! While on the trip I had the chance to make a new friend. Her name is Emily. She was the mother in charge of Farihn's group. Since I had made last minute plans to attend, I tagged along with them. Emily and I sat together on the bus. We immediately started to talk about anything and everything. Can you believe it, she is married to a Mexican too. As we chatted I came to find out that Emily is the mother of two children. One is five. Her name is Brylee. She is in Farihn's class. Her other is a little boy. He is eighteen months and has Downs Syndrome.
If you have read any of my previous entries then you know I'm very sensitive. I just can't tell you how impressed I was with this girl. Never once did she complain about her circumstances. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to raise a special needs child. Yet she is positive and grateful for her beautiful little boy. As we talked, I gained such a appreciation for her and all people that are raising children with special needs. I have several friends that are raising children like Emily's. Each of them respond to this calling in life with optimism and enthusiasm. Seriously, are there any better examples out there?

As Emily and I talked, something she shared with me broke my heart. Prior to her son's birth Emily and her husband were unaware of any problems with the baby. After his birth they were given the news that he had Downs Syndrome. A little sad and probably not sure what the future held they began to call all of their closest friends and family. Emily mentioned to me that at times like this you find out who your real friends are. Several people that they deemed to be their closest friends never to this day have made any attempt to visit or call them. Really I am so speechless! I can't believe at a time when they would need friends the most, they were abandoned.
Emily, you're a great woman. God has entrusted you and your husband with one of his most special children. I'm so grateful for the chance to meet you. I hope we can be friends for years to come. You have many challenging days ahead of you. May God bless you in everything that you do. Your optimism is so refreshing. Just think how much better the world would be if we had more people like Emily in it. Girlfriend, you're my hero of the day!
I know that for some of us it's hard to know how to react to the challenges that our friends and family face. They need our love at times like this more then ever. It's okay if you don't know what to say. Most people don't. I think just knowing you're there is all a person needs to help them get through.